I always have this inner turmoil when I want to incorporate bacon in a recipe. I feel like its sacrilege to have bacon share the limelight with other ingredients. Because let’s be honest, bacon never needs a wingman. It’s just so annoyingly delicious and crispy all by itself. “Give me all the bacon!!!” (I hear all the crossfit people everywhere screaming). But after back-and-forthing for about umm… 30 seconds, I decided to teach bacon that it doesn’t always have to take centre stage. A lesson on humility if you will.
And Zucchini being a modest fella, embraced the opportunity to marry bacon for the sake of this delicious loaf. Let me tell you, it was a glorious wedding to say the least. The reception was all the rage.
Ok enough with this weird prolonged personification. I’m in an odd mood and it must have something to do with the fact that I’m leaving for London in 5 days!!!! London >> France >> Switzerland >> Italy. Sound like a dream trip does it? Well it feels 100% surreal and I probably won’t even believe it when I’m there. I’m mentally prepping myself for bruised arms from all the pinching.
All this Europe planning must be the cause for all the cookie, pasta and bread recipes. Have you looked at my home page recently?! I’m all about the comfort food these days.
Anyway, back to the loaf. I used coconut and almond flour for this recipe so the loaf is a little crumbly yet moist from the bacon. It’s strange but it’s true. Although it didn’t need any spread, butter did go very well with it. I also tried it with peanut butter, because you know, peanut butter. Similar story to the bacon but let’s not get me started.
This is a great breakfast bread and works well toasted to dip in soups too.
Side note: depending on the fattiness of your bacon, your loaf may come out more or less moist and the cooking time may be different. Just be a good little baker and put that cake tester to good use. If it pulls out with some batter attached then it probably needs a few more minutes.
EEEEENNNJOOOYYY friends 😀
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 strips bacon (diced + 1 strip for the top)
- 1 cup grated zucchini + a few slices for top
- handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C and grease loaf tin
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients (excluding the bacon, zucchini and parsley)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well
- Mix in the bacon, grated zucchini and parsley
- Pour batter into loaf tin and decorate with a strip of bacon and zucchini slices
- Bake for +- 55 minutes or until cake tester pulls out clean