I don’t remember a lot of my childhood, but one thing I do remember is chocolate crunchies. This must be a very South African treat because when I told some of my American friends about it they looked at me blankly. And if you know what a chocolate crunchie is you would never look at someone blankly. Unless you’ve gone into a state of food coma nostalgia.
I accidentally stumbled across this invention not knowing what to expect after letting it set in the fridge. When Chris and I sunk our teeth into the first bite, we were immediately transported back to our childhood. The original recipe of my childhood is made using ginormous amounts of sugar (obviously), oats, flour, desiccated coconut and cocoa. But these Raw Chocolate Goji Berry Crunchies are grain, sugar and dairy free, nutrient-dense and raw! I even had a couple for breakfast the next day (#sorrynotsorry).
You can either press the mixture into a baking dish and cut into squares when set or roll into balls for a bite sized snack!
Now that you know this is the next thing you should make before anything else, here is what you’ll need:
- a food processor
- a baking dish
- your choice of nuts (I like using cashews and almonds)
- desiccated coconut
- goji berries
- chia seeds (for that crunch)
- raw honey
- cacao powder
- dark chocolate to drizzle
I hope you enjoy friends, let me know what you think!
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 Tbs peanut butter (or nut butter)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw honey1/3 cup coconut oil
- melted dark chocolate for drizzling on top
- Place all ingredients except the melted dark chocolate in a food processor and process until it forms fine crumbs and is well combined.
- Press into a greased baking dish or roll into balls then place in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour.
- Drizzle melted dark chocolate on top and place back in the refrigerator until chocolate is hard.
- Replace the goji berries with an equal amount of dates if you would prefer a more caramel flavour