The three best things in combination besides red wine, dark chocolate and a movie, would have to be shortbread, caramel and chocolate right? Perhaps you can come up with a better combination. But for now, let’s talk millionaire shortbread!
COCONUT FLOUR is the bomb. It just works so well in baking. If you get to know your ratios (often through trial and error) this ingredient can be a super power. And it definitely acts like one as a main ingredient in the shortbread.
DATES. Give me ALL the dates! I just love them. Soak them up in hot water and puree them and you’ve got yourself an all natural sweetener, paste, sauce, jam…stop me before I start drooling. These babies played a major role in the caramel layer!
DARK CHOCOLATE is a staple in my house. I typically use 85/90% cacao because I’m hardcore like that. If I’m not using this in a dessert recipe, I’m eating a square or two for an after dinner treat. For this recipe you could also make your own to make it 100% vegan. Just combine coconut oil/cocoa butter, cacao powder and honey!
So let’s get started…
I used mixed nuts, coconut flour and coconut oil for the ‘shortbread’ base. The longer you leave it in the food processor, the smoother and runnier it gets. This is great but it tends to take a while longer to set.
Press this mixture into greased mini muffin cups or a baking dish. I chose to use these mini muffin cups because they were the perfect serving and just look so pretty!
Next up is the caramel layer! This was the first time I ever attempted to make paleo caramel so I was a bit daunted. To my surprise, it came out great! Main players were dates (obviously), coconut cream and honey.
Who doesn’t love melting dark chocolate? Licking the bowl at the end (or during) is the best part. I waited for the caramel layer to cool slightly before topping with the melted chocolate.
I sprinkled the top with some coarse sea salt and put these guys into the fridge to set for a good few hours.
Here’s the recipe, let me know how you liked it!
- 1 cup of nuts (I used a mix of almonds, walnuts and cashews)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 6 medjool dates
- 3 Tbs hot water
- 3 Tbs raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 75 g 85% dark chocolate
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and process, scraping down the sides when needed, until it starts to form a paste.
- Roll into 12-14 balls and press each ball into cups OR press mixture into a baking dish.
- Soak the dates in hot water until very soft, then place in a food processor and process until a smooth paste.
- Place the date mixture in a saucepan with honey and bring to a simmer.
- Add the coconut cream, salt and vanilla and mix, let this simmer for up to 10 minutes or until thick and golden.
- Let cool slightly before adding to the shortbread layer.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl either in the microwave or on the stove.
- Spoon the melted chocolate over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt flakes on top and let set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!