Cauliflower is amazing. I am always looking for new ways to use this incredible vegetable. Did you know that it is one of the healthiest foods around? Good ‘ol cauliflower, what a champ. It is known as a cruciferous vegetable amongst others like kale, broccoli and cabbage. These vegetables are cancer fighting so let’s get in as much as we can!
Some other benefits of cauliflower are:
- it has anti-inflammatory properties
- it aids in preventing chronic diseases
- it is high in vitamin C and K
- it supports digestion and helps the body to detoxify
- it helps to keep the bodies hormone levels balanced
One of my favourite ways to prepare this vegetable is in the form of buttery mash. But why not load it up with some other delicious things?! Bacon, mushrooms, garlic, fresh herbs…yes please!
In my opinion, the best way to do cauliflower mash is to steam the cauliflower until soft. Boiling drains it of most of it’s nutrients and we don’t want that! While the cauli is steaming, fry up the bacon until it’s almost crispy then add the garlic, mushrooms and herbs. Cook until the mushrooms are soft. Try not to eat all of this before adding it to your cauliflower!
Then mash or blend the cauliflower with some butter and salt and add the bacon mixture. The cauliflower can be a little dry, so feel free to add more butter or some coconut milk to keep it moist.
This will make a delightful side to any meal or as a potluck dish with friends! Enjoy everybody 😉
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4-5 strips of fatty bacon (diced)
- 100 g mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- fresh herbs of your choice (chopped)
- 1-2 Tbs butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop up the cauliflower into florets and steam until soft.
- While the cauli is steaming, start with the bacon.
- Fry the bacon on medium heat until almost crispy then add the garlic, mushrooms and herbs.
- Cook until bacon is crispy and mushrooms are soft.
- When the cauliflower is soft, place into a bowl with butter and using a masher or immersion blender, mash until smooth. Add in desired amount of salt and pepper (rather too little at first).
- Then mix in the bacon mixture and garnish with more fresh herbs.
- Serve hot or cold!
- If the cauliflower mash is too dry, add in more butter or a little coconut/almond milk.
- Beware of the saltiness of your bacon mixture before adding too much salt to the cauliflower.