My energy has been a bit low these days and you know what happens when our energy is low? We generally crave sugar. When these cravings come on it’s important to have healthy food on hand like the ingredients in this easy smoothie recipe to avoid turning to the unhealthy and refined stuff.
Blueberries are by far my favourite fruit and so I generally like to snack on them whole and find it sacrilege to blend it up into a drink. But this smoothie made the blueberry experience just as enjoyable!
You may know that blueberries are high in anti-oxidants and fight inflammation.
Here are some other cool nutritional benefits you will get from these little guys:
- high in vitamin c
- contain potassium, magnesium and calcium
- reduce the risk of cognitive damage
- high in fibre and folate
Bananas and chia seeds also pack a whole lot of beneficial nutrients that make this smoothie the pick-me-up that you need.
Frozen or fresh?
I like to use frozen blueberries for a few reasons. Firstly, they’re cheaper (yay), secondly, they are frozen at their optimal nutritional level and therefore are often higher in nutrients than fresh blueberries, and thirdly, they make for a nice cold smoothie. You can also cut up bananas and freeze them in advance to throw into the blender. This is also a great thing to do with bananas that are going brown!
Enjoy this recipe friends!
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- Additional water to get to desired consistency
- Place all ingredients except water in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add water a little at a time to get to your desired consistency.
- Serve in glasses immediately or freeze for later.