Firstly, don’t get hysterical. That literally helps no one. In fact, all it does is make you more susceptible to a weakened immune system. I must admit that at times I do get sucked into the hype around COVID-19 and it’s only ever after reading something on social media or hearing something in the news. While we need to be educated and informed (through trusted sources and not fake news), we also need to set up healthy boundaries around the content we consume. So much of it is inflated as everyone tries to get his or her piece of the pie. Do what you need to do as a responsible citizen and look after your own health and well being. Sounds too simple? Tell that to the lady in aisle 3 stocking her trolley full with the last 50 packs of toilet paper.
When the panic sets in, here are some things you can do to manage it and ground yourself:
- Choose to give yourself a break from social media and the news.
- Take 5 slow deep breaths to switch from fight or flightto rest and digest.
- Get outdoors into nature, feel the fresh air, let the sun soak into your skin and let your bare feet feel the earth.
- Make a mental list of 5 things you are grateful for.
- Take a walk, dance to your favorite music or lift weights, whatever it is you love to do that entails moving your body and releasing those feel-good hormones.
Now that you are nice and calm, it is important to build up your immune system during this time. A healthy and strong immune system means a strong defense against any illness/virus. Here are my top tips to stay healthy and boost your immunity:
- Limit sugar as sugar is the devil and suppresses the immune system.
- Eat loads of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant rich foods.
- Stay hydrated so as to flush toxins effectively from the body.
- Look into immune boosting supplements like Echinacea, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B etc. (always consult your doctor before taking any supplementation).
- Get enough sleep so that your body is well rested and energized to fight off any potential sickness.
As a health coach, it is my job to hold a safe space for my clients to explore their health concerns and navigate through unsettling times. I am here to support you and your unique health needs. If this is something that resonates with you, please feel free to contact me and book an online session.