Sometimes you just need to have your girlfriends over, drink some wine and eat Thai Red Coconut Chicken Curry! Well, that’s exactly what we did this last Saturday evening. Boys were out, girls stayed in and the delightful banter went on longer than expected. The ladies arrived and the sweet aroma of coconut curry wafted around the kitchen. While I was finishing up the final touches of dinner, the other two attempted to open the red wine. How many women does it take to a open a bottle of wine? Needless to say, it almost ended up in disaster. The cheap cork screw failed at it’s only job. But, in our desperation to quench our vino thirst, we would not give in to defeat. Between the 3 of us we managed to hack away at the cork, push the last bit of it into the bottle and finally toast to the start of a great evening – cork crumbs and all!
I found this recipe on House and Garden and adapted it slightly. Below is my version:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sized onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbs red curry paste
- 500 g chicken breasts (cut into smallish chunks)
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper (chopped into small pieces)
- 350 ml coconut milk (set aside 2Tbs for the end)
- 1-2 cups green beans (chopped into 3cm pieces)
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan, add the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Cook on medium heat until translucent (a few minutes)
- Add the curry paste and cook for a couple minutes, stirring
- Add the chicken and red bell pepper, cook for a couple minutes stirring occasionally
- Add the coconut milk (set aside 2 Tbs for later) and stir to combine
- Turn heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes
- Add in the green beans and cook for another 5 minutes
- Sauce should have reduced and slightly thickened at this point
- Turn off the heat and serve in bowls
- Garnish with coriander leaves and drizzle with leftover coconut milk
- Accompany with steamed rice/coconut rice
So sad to have missed it, we’ll have to have a do-over! The curry looks delicious.
Comments are closed.