It was inevitable. The stomach flu. Living in a country like Vietnam, it’s bound to happen some time. And I think it is a good reminder that I’m not invincible and, although I hardly ever get colds or flus, I’m not immune to contracting a sneaky virus. My system took quite a knock and I had hardly any appetite for a about a week. So that meant no baking and not much creative cooking was going on up in here! Hence, I felt it necessary to post my Dark Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookie recipe since I am all better 😉 My appetite is BACK and my baking game is STRONG!
If you’re feeling under the weather or even terribly ill, don’t compromise your nutrition! This is KEY to getting back to your normal healthy self as soon as possible. Your body needs to recover and repair and the right food is an essential part of the process! Here are some handy tips to bounce back quick:
- Tip #1: make or get someone to make a BIG batch of bone broth – this might be the only thing you can stomach. It is full of nutrients plus it’ll keep you hydrated! Need a recipe? Try this one.
- Tip #2: drink a butt load of water! You want to try flush out whatever it is that’s making you sick. To stay hydrated add a dash of salt to your glass of water every once in a while to help retain the water in your body.
- Tip #3: Get lots of rest. I know this sounds like a “no duh” but some people need that reminder. This is a great excuse to lay on the couch, take naps, run a bath etc. Rest is key and you’re only prolonging the sickness if you don’t allow your body to do this.
- Tip #4: Eat your green veggies! These are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that our body desperately needs during this time. Green veggies help to build a strong immune system.
Here is a link to a previous post I did about stopping a cold in it’s tracks.
Ok so now back to the COOKIES! After employing those above tips I got back on track relatively quickly and made these oh-so-delicious cookies for coffee with friends! Keep in mind that this is a treat 😉 even though healthy ingredients are being used, it’s still a high-calorie treat and should be eaten as one…sorry if that burst your bubble! Buuuut ENJOY!
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 6 Tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C/350 deg F
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (excl the chocolate) in a bowl
- Mix all the wet ingredients together using a blender or whisk then add to the dry ingredients
- Mix in the chocolate (alternatively you can press the chocolate into the cookies later)
- Form into balls and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Flatten balls with a fork or with hands if you prefer a smooth cookie (if you left the chocolate for now, sprinkle over the cookies and press into dough)
- Place in the oven at 180 deg C/350 deg F for 12 minutes or until golden brown
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container