I started to get annoyed with all the “Taco Tuesday” announcements on Instagram and new that it was time to start making my own grain-free tortillas. Mexican night comes around almost weekly now with this easy-peasy grain-free tortilla recipe. And I can finally join the taco Tuesday crowd! Goodbye FOMO.
If you’re like me and get annoyed standing at the stove flipping pancakes, then I’ve got good news for you. With a good pan (see below for the safest non-toxic kinds) and the right heat (medium-low) you don’t have to worry about these guys burning quickly. This batter is super sturdy and it goes crispy before it starts to burn so unless you smell smoke, you should be good to go.
This allows the freedom to lay on the batter, move to the chopping board and get going on the fillings. Multitasking for the win!
But first, some things about pans you should know…
Traditional non-stick and aluminium pans/cookware are highly toxic and can be really dangerous when leached into the food that is cooked and consumed from them. This can cause liver issues, a weakened immune system, infertility and cancer. For more information on the toxicity of cookware, check this article out.
The best cookware to be using to avoid these health concerns are:
- Cast Iron
- Stainless Steel
Back to the tortillas…
A few tips on how to get the tortillas the perfect shape and thickness
A heads up that this batter tends to be quite thick and unlike a pancake batter, not easily spreadable. I recommend using a soup ladle to scoop up the batter (fill up the ladle, don’t be shy), then pour it onto the centre of the pan and use the bottom of the ladle in circular motions to spread the batter into a nice round, flat tortilla.
So in short:
- Use a soup ladle to scoop up the batter
- Place the batter in the centre of the pan
- Use the bottom of the ladle in circular motions to spread the batter
Here are my favourite fillings:
- Guacamole (at the top of the list for a reason)
- Ground beef
- Steak strips
- Pico de gallo
- Homemade mayo
- Butter lettuce
- Red onion slices
- Purple cabbage
- Grilled vegetables
Have fun filling your tortillas!
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1/3 cup water
- pinch of salt
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients well in another bowl then add to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Grease a pan with coconut oil and heat to medium.
- Using a soup ladle, pour batter into the middle of the pan and spread using circular motions with the bottom of the soup ladle.
- When the top has completely dried (a minute or so) flip over and cook on the other side for about 30 seconds or until golden brown.
- Continue with the remaining batter.